Insight works on an exciting variety of medical devices and health care products for many different clients. If you’re inclined to think about how things aren’t designed quite right for users and have solutions to make it better, our opportunity might just be what you’re looking for.
Our Human Factors team takes an integrated approach to guide the development of intuitive and easy to use designs. The knowledge gained from our usability studies and our analyses is funneled to our design teams to ensure the design works well for the users they are intended for.
As the Senior/Principal HF Engineer, Human Factors you will be responsible for planning and leading human factors programs for medical devices, along with staff and senior human factors engineers. You will manage client interactions and expectations, as well as managing resourcing planning, budgets, and time frames. You will also be responsible for applying human factors engineering methods throughout the design and development process for medical products. You will be responsible for planning and conducting usability evaluations, executing risk management strategies, and applying HF principles to improve the design of devices and interfaces. You have at least 5-7 years of industry experience in the medical device/healthcare industry, working in an human factors capacity. You have experience with regulatory requirements for human factors (FDA, IEC 62366-1, etc.) for medical devices. You have a good understanding of the entire product development and commercialization process.
To succeed in this position, you must excel in the following:
- You possess strong empathy and exceptional interpersonal skills and communicate well with anyone.
- You have experience as a program manager including planning, timeline and budget management and staffing.
- You have experience in supervising at least 1-3 staff level engineers
- You are able to develop, support, and defend design recommendations because you have a solid grasp of human factors science and design principles. You can design and run controlled usability studies. You are an excellent writer.
- You possess strong analytical tendencies that allow you to hypothesize ways users can do things incorrectly and foresee the consequences of doing so.
- You are a lifelong learner, take initiative to improve the process, and can think for yourself.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with clients to plan, manage, and execute HF activities
- Work within multi-disciplinary teams to develop solutions using human factors principles and methods to contribute human factors expertise to the development process
- Analyze use workflows, goals, tasks, and experiences to identify user needs
- Create and execute all components of usability studies
- Conduct user-focused risk identification and assessment activities critical to medical device development efforts (e.g. use FMEA)
- Apply human factors knowledge to product definition and strategy
- Work with consumers and designers to evaluate concepts and existing products on the market for improvement opportunities
Qualifications and Skills
- Have passion, creativity, and ability necessary to solve challenging user and technical problems
- Minimum BS or BSE in Human Factors, Ergonomics, Industrial Engineering, Cognitive Psychology or extensive formal education in human factors related areas*
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience working in a human factors capacity within the medical device / healthcare sector
- Experience conducting usability studies and hazard analysis of use-related hazards
- Experience creating experience maps, site/app maps, wireframes, and interactive prototypes
- Experience in research design as it relates to product development
- Knowledge of, or direct experience with the use and application of anthropometric data
- Awareness of/coursework in psychology, cognition, marketing, design, or product development
- Ability to balance theoretical tools and practical experimentation to develop concepts and ideas
- Be familiar with industry standards regarding human factors and usability (FDA, HE 75, ISO 62366) in the medical device development process
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, wireframing tools, and image/video editing
Job Type: Full-time
Please apply only if your background, skills, and experience are a strong match for this role!
Send résumé and work samples to: email@example.com
Please include “Senior/Principal HF Engineer, Human Factors” in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls please.